Description
Dunedin Harbour and Andersons Bay, taken from a hill in the Caversham Valley
Catherine Valpy [later Mrs Catherine Fulton]
Circa 1849
Watercolour on paper
Donated by Dr Robert Fulton, 1907

Catherine (Kate) Valpy was aged 20 when she arrived with her family in Dunedin in 1849. In 1852 she married Taieri landowner James Fulton, who had travelled out with the Valpys and his brother Robert on the Ajax. In addition to becoming a successful farmer, James entered public life, becoming a Member of Parliament and of the Legislative Council. As well as painting, Catherine’s interests also included music. She was involved in many causes, perhaps most notably as national president of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union between 1889 and 1892. Catherine died in 1919. Her son Robert, a medical doctor, donated this and other paintings and sketches by members of his extended family to the museum in 1907.
Maker
Catherine Fulton
Production Date
Circa 1849
Measurements
326 x 225 mm
490 x 512 mm (mat)

 Share