The landing of Sir George Grey from H.M.S. 'Brisk' at Port Chalmers, 1867
Captain Thomas Robertson (attributed)
Oil on board or oil on canvas on board
Donated by the family of Alexander Thomson, 1919

‘The jetty was well decorated. At the sea end, there was a cabbage tree, with an ensign floating above it; and shoreward of the landing steps were two neat arches of foliage and flags, with festoons connecting the two. On one of the arches was the inscription, “Welcome Sir George Grey, ‘Tho’ ye’ve been lang o’ comin.’” That was, no doubt, a rather direct reminder of a failure to “come” when the New Zealand Exhibition was to be opened, in 1865;…’ – Otago Daily Times, 15 February 1867.

This work is from a collection of circa 1300 items, primarily photographs and art, donated by the family of Alexander Thomson in 1919. Thomson came to Otago in 1860 and in 1866 founded a cordial and aerated water business which would become one of the most significant cordial makers in New Zealand. In 1894 he bought Wai-Ronga, a property in North Taieri where there were natural springs, and opened it to the public. Visitors flocked to drink from the springs and enjoy the gardens, birds, fountains and artificial lake. Alexander Thomson was also vice-president of the Otago Early Settlers Association and an enthusiastic collector. He died in 1904.
Thomas Robertson
Production Date
1,195 (h) x 1,815 (w) x 85 (d) mm (framed)
(note: depth including hooks is 95mm)